Pages

12 December 2011

a short story

I really should be blogging more than I have been.  My apologies to all 5 of you people who read my blog when I post :)

Today, I just have an amusing story.  Well, I was amused.  Jesse LOVES seafood and asked me the other day if I could make some salmon or something soon.  I did, and it was ok but nothing spectacular-- I forgot to use my cedar planks until it was too late-- and then he brought up the topic of shrimp.  Shrimp intimidate me.  In my mind, that is one of those dishes that I shouldn't try and cook, we should just go to a nice seafood restaurant and get it there where they won't mess it up and if they do, we can nicely send it back.  He told me to get over that nonsense, in a more tactful way, and to find a recipe to try.  I did, and if I do say so myself, it was delicious.  Anyway.  I made that, rice and some coleslaw (another thing Jesse had been wanting me to make) for dinner tonight, and I was kind of apprehensive about Lily's meal.  Jesse asked if I was getting her something separate to eat and I said-- cautiously-- that I was going to try and just give her what we were eating.  

I gave her a bite of rice and she liked that, obviously.  Then I gave her a small bite of the shrimp.  Her eyes absolutely lit up and I'm pretty sure the look she gave me said quite plainly: lady, why have you not been feeding me this ALL the time??  I went to get her a plate of her own and when I turned around, she was happily picking the whole shrimp off my plate and shoveling them in her mouth.  While her daddy watched.  His shrimp were safe, he didn't care.  hmph.  

Anyway.  It was a happy dinner and we all were content with full bellies and apparently, I CAN make a shrimp dish successfully, and may need to try more!  If you have a good recipe, pass it on, please!  The easier the better ;)
Photobucket
Gilroy Garlic Shrimp
24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and fresh black pepper to taste
2 T olive oil
6 garlic cloves, crushed and minced fine
2 T cold butter
1/4 c chopped Parsley
1/2 lemon, juiced
Make sure the shrimp are very well drained.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Place a large skillet on high heat, and add the olive oil.  When the oil is very hot, add the shrimp and saute on high for 2 minutes, or until the shrimp are halfway cooked.  Add the garlic, and saute for 1 minute.  Add the cold butter, reduce the heat to medium and cook for another minute or until the shrimp are cooked.  Turn off the heat, stir in the parsley and lemon juice.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment