Pages

12 March 2014

oh, middle children.

You're all familiar by this point with how hilarious Lily is.  And while it's easier to tell those stories because she's so verbal, Emma is well on her way to her own sort of hilarity.

I had a feeling that Emma would be more of a handful than Lily, as she is my second born.  If you don't agree with Adler on birth order, or think it's nonsense like Jesse, you may just roll your eyes when I say second borns, and middle children, can be a more ridiculous and troublesome crowd.  And I speak from experience.

Recently, Emma has been showing her own stubborn and detmerined personality, and as well as becoming more curious, playful and silly.  She intentionally makes us laugh, and when we smile or laugh at something she's done, she'll do it more and add to it to make us laugh harder.

As for ridiculous...that's just in full swing.  While I was changing Kaylee's diaper the other day, Emma came wandering in and held up her hand with a "what do I do now?" face.  Her hand was covered in honey.  Because who wouldn't push the kitchen step stool over to the open jar of honey?  Somehow, she didn't drip honey the entire way from the kitchen to me, but what a mess.

Last night was a bedtime adventure.  It was at least 9:15 before she gave it up, and we put the girls to bed at 7:30.

Since it was such a gorgeous day, Jesse and I decided to have our first outdoor fire.  I got up periodically to check on kiddos, and the first time I went in, found Emma wandering around.  When we came in, Kaylee was crying and the girls' bedroom door was open.  I looked and found Emma carrying a DVD around.  Not the case, the DVD.  Because why not.  I got her back in bed and found the diaper she'd taken off and a pile of rubber ducks.  I asked her to show me where she'd gone potty so she took me to the bathroom and pointed to the toilet, which made me happy since we've been potty training, but the wet floor made me nervous.  I decided it was water from the ducks and not missing the toilet.
In other news, everyone is doing well.  I wasn't too worried about everyone adjusting to Daylight Savings, as the big girls had been consistently getting up at 7-7:30, so now they're getting up at 8-8:30.  Win!  Kaylee does whatever she wants anyway, so the change hasn't affected her, either.  Jesse and I, on the other hand, are not handling it well.  How sad.  But we just can't seem to get to bed before 11 or up at a reasonable time.  Surely we'll get it figured out, but until then, lots of coffee.
We were talking the other day, and I told Jesse that I just seemed to want to cuddle Kaylee more, and maybe more than the other two.  I didn't get a chance to ever put Lily down, and believe me, I tried.  I know everyone always says you spoil your first, and while that's true, she just would NOT stay asleep if I laid her down, so she rode in a front pack the majority of her infancy.  Then with Emma, as soon as she fell asleep, I'd lay her down so she wouldn't "get used" to being held all the time.  Hindsight is 20/20 and that is the most ridiculous thing in the world.  I held and cuddled her plenty, but I don't remember ever just sitting and watching her sleep.  For the record, as you may recall, she was a terrible sleeper, so if I was ever successful in getting her to sleep, I had to hurry and go sleep myself since I knew I'd be back repeating the process in 30-60 minutes.  Kaylee seems to be my sleeping champ, praise God, and I pray it continues.  So yes, I sometimes just sit and hold her and watch her snooze, and enjoy holding her close.  Emma and I have definitely made up for the lack of infancy cuddles, and we have a good hour long cuddle after her naps while she tries to wake up, and Lily still likes to come sit and cuddle, so I don't feel badly about how much we snuggled when they were newborns, but I do wish I'd realized how silly it was to try and lay Emma down all the time.  You can't spoil a newborn, I don't care what people say.  Yes, you may have a rough road if a baby is never set down and is only used to sleeping by being held, but so what?  How long is your baby going to want to do that?  I can almost promise that you won't have to rock your child to sleep their whole lives.  I can't promise absolutely, as I only have been a parent for 3 years and have no experience in later years parenting.  And since I've had a baby that was up every hour of the night for months on end-- and she sleeps through the night now-- I can say it doesn't matter.  

:: end rant.::

antsy for outdoor weather to ride bikes.
she looks like such a big girl!
mani/pedis
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment